Hewer of Web Sites
Joined: 25 Apr 2008
|Posted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:04 am Post subject: Avatars - F.A.Q.
those of you who are unaware, an 'avatar' is the little picture beneath
your name. The word 'avatar' comes from Hindu mythology, and is rather
|1. Hindu Mythology. the descent of a deity to the earth in an incarnate form or some manifest shape; the incarnation of a god.
2. an embodiment or personification, as of a principle, attitude, or view of life.
3. Computers. a graphical image that represents a person, as on the Internet.
Ok, now that we've had the little etymology lesson... Here are the rules for avatars at Dorthonion.net.
1. No one may have an avatar until they have reached the rank of Peredhil.
This is after 25 posts. This is so we can make sure that you have had
the time to read the F.A.Q. on avatars and therefore cause less trouble
2. Avatars must be 100x100. Not bigger. Not smaller. 100x100. If we
find Avatars not meeting these specifications, they will be edited by
the admin, or removed completely until this rule is complied with.
Findarįto likes things looking nice and orderly, and this will be a
happier place if it remains that way.
3. Avatars must be Tolkien related. They can be from art or from the movies (thank Aikanįro for this ), but they must be Tolkien related. If you upload an avatar that is not Tolkien related, it will be deleted and you will be asked to come up with a new one.
4. Please respect the artists. I know that there are some artists out
there who do not like having their pictures cropped or manipulated
(Jenny Dolfen for one) without permission (although she is okay with
resizing, if I remember correctly). If you see something like this on
an artist's site (and please look!) then respect their right to control
their work the way they see fit. Either e-mail them and ask if it's
okay, or don't manipulate the picture. If we find avatars that we know
the artist will not approve of (and we love Tolkien art, so we watch)
then the admin will ask that you please change your avatar to the
artist's specifications. We understand that it can be difficult to find
the artist's opinion on these things, and that avatars may be made
without knowing, with no malicious intent. This is fine. Just be
willing to change your avatar if you find out that the artist has a
problem with it. Also, please credit the author (if you know who they
are), or if you don't know the author, at least credit the site. Put a
line in your signature for this.
5. Avatars must be appropriate for a PG-13 rated board. Make sure you keep them that way.
6. Oh yes, I almost forgot absolutely, positively NO animations in your avatar. They give me a headache. Thanks.
Oh, and if you can't get your avatar the right size, send the picture
to me (firstname.lastname@example.org) and I will get it for you.
why dost thou say 'mere words'? Do not words overpass the gulf between
one life and another? Between thee and me surely more has passed than
~Finrod, Athrabeth Finrod ah Andreth
Avatar art by Alice i Angel Falto.